As lab-grown diamonds have begun to grow in popularity and make a known presence within the diamond industry, many have questioned their authenticity and overall value. To make it as clear as possible, here are some interesting facts about lab-grown gems:
- Lab-grown diamonds are known in the market by many names such as lab-made diamonds, cultured diamonds, lab-created diamonds, CVD diamonds, etc.
- The lab-grown diamond production has reached close to 2 million carats as of 2019, and by the year 2026, it is expected to cross 20 million carats.
- Lab-grown diamonds are NOT synthetic diamonds. They do not share any carbon-like structural properties with diamond stimulants like moissanite or cubic zirconium, and are actually identical in chemical composition and physical appearance to mined diamonds.
- To maintain the process of formation for real diamonds, these diamonds are created under Chemical Vapour Deposition (CVD) and High-Pressure Torsion (HPT) procedures. Using this advanced technology, a diamond seed is subjected to the same environmental conditions that an earth diamond experiences.
- Every high-quality lab-grown diamond is type IIa. Only 2% of earth-mined diamonds will have such a level of perfection.
- Lab-grown diamonds have significant environmental advantages over mined diamonds. Issues such as ocean pollution, deforestation, and the irreversible damage of open-pit mining are all eliminated with the use of laboratory procedures.
- Eco-friendly gems are up to 25-30% less costly than their natural diamond equivalents.
- By choosing a lab-created diamond, you are purchasing a diamond that is conflict-free, cruelty-free, and ethically sourced from first world countries. No third world nations or workers are being exploited or are subject to dangerous working conditions.
- Lab-created diamonds are graded at the same labs where earth-mined diamonds are certified.
Source: My Infographics